The following are excerpts from The Back Book.
- Back pain or ache is usually not due to any serious disease.
- Most back pain settles quickly, at least enough to get on with your normal
- Back pain need not cripple you unless you let it.
- About half the people who get backache will have it again within a couple
of years. But, that still does not mean that it is serious. Between attacks
most people will return to normal activities with few, if any, symptoms.
- It can be very painful and you may need to reduce some activities for a
time. Rest for more than a day or two usually does not help and may do more
harm than good. So, keep moving.
- Your back is designed for movement. The sooner you get back to normal
activity, the sooner your back will feel better.
- The people who cope best are those who stay active and get on with their
life despite the pain.
Anon., The Back Book, London: The Stationery Office, 1996.